Stay-at-home orders are in place, social distancing has become the new normal, and many of us are sitting inside to keep our communities safe. But did you know that you can still experience many of Harrisburg's events and attractions from the safety of your own home? That's because Harrisburg's businesses are getting creative and offering virtual events, online tours and live-stream performances!
Midtown Cinema Parties & Discussions
The Midtown Cinema has gotten creative and is hosting a plethora of live Zoom movie discussions and Netflix parties in the coming weeks. Both are incredibly easy to join, simply follow the instructions on the Midtown Cinema's page to join the online parties and discussions.
- Wednesday, April 8th, join the Netflix Party to watch Moon at 7PM
- Friday, April 10th & Monday, April 13th join the Midtown Cinema staff for a Zoom discussion about the movie Moon. (2PM & 7PM)
- Wednesday, April 15th, join the Netflix Party to watch Paris in Burning at 7PM
- Friday, April 17th & Monday, April 20th join the Midtown Cinema staff for a Zoom discussion about Paris is Burning. (2PM& 7PM)
- Wednesday, April 22nd, join the Netflix Party to watch Anna Karenina at 7PM
- Friday, April 24th & Monday, April 27th join the Midtown Cinema staff for a Zoom discussion about Anna Karenina. (2PM & 7PM)
- Wednesday, April 29th, join the Netflix Party to watch The Talented Mr. Ripley at 7PM
- Friday, May 1st and Monday, May 4th, join the Midtown Cinema staff for a Zoom discussion about The Talented Mr. Ripley (2PM & 7PM)
Midtown Scholar Virtual Event Series
Harrisburg's Midtown Scholar Bookstore is well known for not only their impressive selection of over 100,000 books, they are also loved for their many author talks and book signings. While you are staying at home, did you know that you can still participate in all of their upcoming events? That's because the Scholar has announced a "virtual event series" hosted through crowdcast. These live author talks are FREE to join, and signed copies of many of the featured books will be available for purchase. The best news - shipping is FREE for the entire month of April!
- Live with Casey Schwartz: Attention, A Love Story (April 6th at 7:00PM)
- Live with Peniel Joseph: The Sword and the Shield (April 8th at 7:00PM)
- Live with David Daley: Unrigged (April 13th at 7:00PM)
- Live with Keith Law: The Inside Game (April 16th at 7:00PM)
- Live with Michael Rips: The Golden Flea (April 23rd at 7:00PM)
- Live with Shane O'Mara: In Praise of Walking (May 4th at 7:00PM)
Live-Stream Open Stage's Production of ANGELS IN AMERICA
Open Stage Theatre is proud to announce that instead of cancelling their upcoming production of Angels in America, Tony Kushner’s epic two-part play about the AIDS epidemic, they will be live-streaming the show! The show will be presented via the Zoom app between April 17th and May 15th. Virtual tickets are available by donation (of any amount), and audience members will receive a password protected link to watch the show. Angles in America will be divided and presented by act according to the schedule below:
- Friday, April 17, 2020: Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches, Act I @ 7:00pm
- Saturday, April 18, 2020: Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches, Act II @ 7:00pm
- Sunday, April 19, 2020: Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches, Act III @ 7:00pm
- Friday, April 24, 2020: Angels in America Part 2: Perestroika, Act I-III @ 7:00pm
- Saturday, April 25, 2020: Angels in America Part 2: Perestroika, Act IV @ 7:00pm
- Sunday, April 26, 2020: Angels in America Part 2: Perestroika, Act V @ 7:00pm
- Friday, May 1, 2020: Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches, Act I @ 7:00pm
- Saturday May 2, 2020: Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches, Act II @ 7:00pm
- Sunday May 3, 2020: Sunday, April 19, 2020: Angels in America Part I: Millennium Approaches, Act III @ 7:00pm
- Friday May 8, 2020: Angels in America Part 2: Perestroika, Act I-III @ 7:00pm
- Saturday May 9, 2020: Angels in America Part 2: Perestroika, Act IV @ 7:00pm
- Sunday May 10, 2020: Angels in America Part 2: Perestroika, Act V @ 7:00pm
For information on how to donate and information on live-streaming, visit openstagehbg.com.
Take a virtual tour of the PA State Capitol
Sit back, relax on your couch and enjoy a free virtual tour of our State's magnificent Capitol building. From the history of the famous Capitol dome, inspired by Michelangelo's design for St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, to the incredible artwork displayed throughout the building, this tour will give you a historic look inside this State treasure. You can watch the tour here, or explore their complete website for information on the General Assembly. They even have an online "kids corner" complete with a Pennsylvania history quiz, coloring pages and puzzles.
Join the YWCA for a Virtual Race Against Racism!
The YWCA's Race Against Racism is hosted annually to promote awareness of racism and injustice in our community and raise vital funds to support their racial justice programs. For the first time in their 16 year history, this year's race will be held virtually. That means runners will participate by running or walking a distance of 5k or 3.1 miles between 12:00am on April 1st and 11:59pm on April 25. This can be done wherever you are - on a treadmill, on a rails to trails path, around a track or even on the race course.
Once you complete the "race" share your time with other participants, and post your photos using the hashtags #RARHBG and #VirtualRace. For more information or to register for the race, visit the YWCA's site.
Support Local Businesses
This is such an important time to come together and support the small busineses that make our City a wonderful place to both live and visit. Together with Harrisburg Regional Chamber & CREDC we want to remind you to come together and support our local small businesses! You can show our support by ordering takeout or delivery from local restaurants, purchasing gift cards from local retailers or restaurants, giving donations to the arts or non-profits, etc. Let’s share the love by:
- Posting a photo to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter showing how you support local small businesses
- Tag three friends on the post to do the same
- Write “I support (name of business)” and the hashtag #ShopLocalHBG